Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Space-Time Continuum and HP

The spaghetti's boiling, so I'll try and be quick.

I walked to HP this morning. It took me about fifteen minutes going and thirty minutes coming back (thirty because I got lost on the way back and accidentally circumvented the entire campus, more on that later...). Work was good, I spent much of the day setting up what's called a Premiere Plus Instant Print station. Basically, it's a conglomeration of printers and software that allows a person to walk into Walmart and self-service print anything from wallet-size prints to 24x72" posters. Think of the photo kiosk at Fred Meyer, then add convenience, flexibility, and ease-of-use, and you've got the HP solution.

So, as we guessed, the HP campus is huge. Apparently, at the peak it serviced 15,000 employees (currently only 3,000). Since the buildings are primarily 2-story and not near as compact as Intel's buildings, the campus sprawls like crazy. Yesterday, I almost didn't find my car after leaving for the day... today I had trouble even finding Circle Blvd. Anyway, I trust I'll get more familiar with the campus by the end of my contract. For the record, I think it's a neat place to work. Quieter than Nike and less bland than Intel.

One thing I'm learning is that deferring tasks doesn't save time. For example, if I've got breakfast dishes to clean, I could wait until getting home from work to clean them. However, it's going to take the same amount of time, so time spent in the morning will mean time saved in the evening. Just a thought I had this morning.

Say, any chance I could pick up some eggs on Thursday? These white store-bought things are lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment