Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Food, just food


Wow, it was cold today. Low 40's as I was walking to work this morning, plus a non-insignificant amount of wind chill. It managed to warm up to a balmy 52-degrees by late this afternoon. Despite the clear indications of global warming, I'm looking forward to driving to work tomorrow.

I've got a nutrition question. Since I've got so much empty freezer space, I was thinking about getting several loaves of bread and keeping them frozen until needed. Are there any nutritional drawbacks to doing this? Basically, I've got three options.

  1. Pick up a loaf of bread each week and store it at room temp.
  2. Pick up a couple loaves of bread every couple of weeks and store unused bread in the refrigerator.
  3. Pick up a month or more of bread, and store it in the freezer.
Personally, I'd like to buy bread in bulk, since freezers operate most efficiently when they've got food inside. However, if the freezing process kills the nutritional value of the bread, I'd rather go with option #1 or #2. Just thought I'd ping you before I splurged. By the way, Franz makes some pretty mean bread. I got a loaf of their Columbia River dark whole grain bread, and it's really good.

By the way, I wanted to reassure my dad on a couple of items. First, I'm ventilating my apartment every day after work. Second, I'm turning the light on while cooking and doing dishes. Third, I made my first goulash last night, containing mushrooms, onions, rice, eggs, and spices. You should be proud.

What's with all the food discussion in this letter? It's what I get for writing before dinner. Taco time!

No comments:

Post a Comment