Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cities: Rat Mazes for Humans

It was a very good Saturday for me. This morning I worked on a video montage for the Awana Awards Night, went for a run, and started a section in math on conformal mapping. This afternoon I wrapped up the video montage and math section, and even had the chance to take a shower along the way.

Let me backtrack to my run for a minute. Being a country boy used to running on country roads, my idea of a run is as follows:
  1. Run straight for a mile
  2. You hit your first fork, make a decision... left or right
  3. Run straight for another mile
  4. You hit a four-way, make a decision... left, right, or straight
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 until done
Now, running in the city is a different matter entirely. The sheer number of available pathways could cause an indecisive person to have a nervous breakdown. I'd guess that the number of possible routes in a square mile is practically infinite. From the perspective of the air, it probably looks something the human version of the infamous rat maze, though I'm hoping my running style is more stately than the rat.

I'm looking forward to church tomorrow, as it will be great to see some familiar faces. Still, this will be the longest commute (1 hour) to church I've ever taken, so we'll see how it works out in practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment