Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Hit Reality

So here's my first update from the Big City. I spent most of the afternoon setting up and arranging the furniture, which is now done. At 6 o'clock, I went to Grocery Outlet on a shopping excursion. It took me about an hour to get everything on my list, but I found out a few interesting things:
  1. I won't be needing to go to an amusement park, because my incessant circling of the aisles qualified as a free merry-go-round ride.

  2. Grocery Outlet is primarily a bulk retailer (i.e. my only option for fruit was to get a five-pound bag of apples and a three-pound bag of bananas... guess I'll be making smoothies for awhile)

  3. It's a pretty inexpensive store. I only spent $55 total for a cart-load of food. Heck, if I hadn't forgotten the lettuce, I would have probably needed another cart.
After I got back, I tried out the blender. There's no two-ways about it, Kitchen Aid makes a pretty mean blender. I threw in two whole apples, a banana, yogurt, milk, and ice, and the whole mess was liquified in about ten seconds flat (seeds and all). I'll be trying carrot purée tomorrow morning, but I'd love to try killing some frozen berries as well.

Another piece of good news. The water here is actually quite excellent, so I won't be needing bottled water.

Well, that's about it for now. Tomorrow I'll be starting work and getting the rest of my stuff unpacked. One question: is there any harm in combining my lights and darks? I don't really want to run two loads each time I do laundry.

2 comments:

  1. I wash all my clothes together, and haven't noticed any ill effects. I suppose long term the colors could fade...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Brian. lol
    When I went away to school I would separate everything out...
    Now I pretty much throw everything in together.. With a few exceptions...

    ReplyDelete