Saturday, October 29, 2011

Baggage

Honesty. Why is it so hard to get right? Why do we put so much effort into avoiding the truth about how we're doing in our daily walk? Every Sunday service has a meet-and-greet time. Why does it seem that 'good' is the default answer to 'how are you?'. If we're doing so 'good', why are our lives filled with trouble, pain, and all sorts of trials?

Are we afraid of exposing who we really are? Do we think that 'good' is all anybody else wants to hear, so we don't bother telling them the truth?

I'm guilty. I do this all the time. And I confess it's due to feeling that others don't want to hear about the not-so-tidy bits of my life. I've had experiences in the past where I try telling how I really am doing during the meet-and-greet time, and more often than not, I get utter confusion. When people don't hear the magical codeword indicating everything is fine and dandy, they tend to panic. (what do I do? what do I say? ahhhhhhhh...)

Granted, this is anecdotal, and rule #1 in constructing an argument is that all anecdotes are evil. Fair enough.

Alas, I've never been very good at social conventions. Perhaps it's not socially proper to tell others your problems in a casual context. Perhaps people who undergo periods of depression and anxiety should be sequestered from public view. Perhaps one of the prerequisites for social gatherings is that you check your emotional, physical, and spiritual baggage at the door. Perhaps so.

But if so, it doesn't seem right.

If this sounds like a bitter diatribe, I don't mean it to be. Maybe the problem is me. Maybe I'm being too sensitive. Maybe the vast majority of the people I shake hands with mean what they say.

Maybe so, but deep down inside me, I have doubts, which is why I'm blogging on the subject.

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. It's harder than it sounds.

Until next time,
- Daniel

6 comments:

  1. Good post. I hate how automatic/robotic it is to immediately respond with "good/great" and move on to the next person - to say the same thing - however false it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social conventions really bug me. Taken to an extreme, they are a systematic form of lying.

    I've heard it's worse in other cultures, though. In India, the entire society is wrapped up in "saving face." So, for example, if you ask someone a question they don't know the answer to, they may answer you, but nod their head back and forth at the same time, which is understood to mean that they really don't know what they're talking about. If you're a native Indian, you'll pick up on this right away, but it's very confusing for tourists. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wondered the same things!

    Dr. Seuss' words of wisdom have helped me, and though they are hard to follow, they might at least encourage you.

    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr.Seuss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, with closer friends, I open up more and share what is really on my mind and how I am doing. But just the general public? No, they'll get "I'm fine" most of the time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Brian on this. I'm not going to pour out my deepest problems to the person that happens to sit next to me in church. However, when asked how I am doing this is what I really mean with my answer, "I'm doing well because I am structurally sound in my faith, regardless of what else is going on in my life". If you are a close friend you will get to hear the details, but otherwise probably not. I don't think this is dishonest; it would be though if a good friend asked me the same question and I gave the same response I give to a near stranger.

    LMS

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the meet-and-greet time during service is accompanied by 'happy' music, and anything other than "I'm doing fabulous" sort of sounds out of place... save the real details for after service with those who ask further questions about your week... that's just my conclusion...lol

    ReplyDelete