Thursday, October 27, 2011

Flirtation

WARNING: The following is the brainchild of a certain late-night Google Chat session. You know who you are.

Flirtation. It affects us all. Sad but true.

You may not be married.

*cheers*

You may never have been engaged.

*CHEERS*

Shoot, maybe you haven't even dated.

*C-H-E-E-R-S* (ouch, that Josh Harris crowd is deafening)

But you've flirted or been flirted with. You know you have.

Go on. Fess up. Confession is good for the soul. I'll wait...

...

Still recalcitrant, eh? No hurry, I've got all day...

...

There now. Don't you feel better?

Now. Where was I? That's right. Flirtation. It affects us all. Christian Homeschoolers more than most.
:cries of rage:
(argh, would somebody please do Harris crowd control?)

That's better.

Why do I say this? Well, we view flirtation as one of the seven deadly sins, so we don't talk about it. To quote Hogan's Heroes:

"I know nothing, I hear nothing, I see NOTHING."
~ Sergeant Schultz

But it happens regardless, and you need to know how to deal with it. That's why I'm here. No, it's true. Even yours truly has been guilty of occasional gallantry and the victim of the odd coquette. Fortunately, both problems have similar solutions, and neither involve joining a monastery or nunnery for the remainder of your useful life.

If you're the perpetrator of serial flirtation, stop. Take a deep breath. Then, ask yourself if being asked to go to a movie is equivalent to a marriage proposal. I thought not.

If you're the victim of serial flirtation, stop. Take a deep breath. Then, ask yourself if you should go on a hike with that girl with the involuntary giggle or that guy bereft of the concept of personal space. I thought not.

Overly simplified much? Probably. People like to flirt.

What? You don't?

You're telling me that if someone commanded you to flirt with that handsome hunk with the supercomputer inside his cranium, you'd have a hard time complying? Or, for the guys, if a warrant was issued for the arrest of two people--you and that charming lady around your age with the athletic build and long eyelashes--you'd be hesitant to run off together and be put on the FBI's most wanted list?

If you said 'yes', I have news for you. You're not human.

We have met the enemy and he is us.

Until next time,
- Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment