Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Three Technophiles

(Sorry Dumas)

A few of you have called me out on the fact that the subtitle for my blog is dishonest. I've been living at home for over two years, yet have the audacity to claim I'm a licensed and independent ex-homeschooled blogosphere terrorist.

This is about to change.

In less than a week, I will--once again--be as dangerous as a church greeter with a joy buzzer.

In this edition of Leaving the Nest (part 2), I'll be moving to a house in Beaverton with two equally dangerous convicts. Nathan "Noreastern" Becker and Brian "Bad Weather" Plett. We will have the entire house to ourselves.

I'm not going to cackle, because that would be cliched. But I will take this opportunity to hum The Emperor's Theme while equipping my G.I. Joe action figure with a jerryrigged phreaking device.

Seriously, this feels like a big relationship commitment. While house shopping, we had a few must-haves on our short list:
  1. Closet space for server racks

  2. Pre-installed cable jacks

  3. Good southern exposure for solar arrays

  4. Scads of grounded three-prong outlets

  5. No landscaping
Will this make (some of us) more independent?

Yes.

Will this make (any of us) more social?

:crickets:

Will this be a heck of a lot of fun, or will we part ways as unlikely enemies?

I have no clue. And... honestly... I probably won't appreciate what I've gotten myself into until the first time I trip on a mislaid CAT-5e cable.

Bring on the troubles, trials, and brownouts caused by SETI@home. I'm psyched.

And... lest you think the three of us will be unified in our technophilic solidarity, the OS wars have already begun...

Until next time,
- Daniel

5 comments: