Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Nemesis of Noise

I'm a quiet guy. Very quiet. I tiptoe around in bare feet, make a game of closing doors such that the latch doesn't click back in place, and have a broom within two feet of my smoke detector at all times.

This is why my morning routine is so out of character.

Every morning, I head for the kitchen, grab fruit, yogurt, and milk from the refrigerator, and pull out the blender. Blenders are very noisy. My antithesis in a way. They seem to take a fiendish delight out of notifying all living organisms within a half-mile of their existence. If you throw in a half-pound of frozen strawberries, that radius increases to a mile... at least.

For a couple months now, I've been stumped by this problem. Living next door to the manager has given me a unique perspective on noise, and I try to avoid it as much as possible. However, hitting the "liquify" button once a day hasn't done much to help my cause. Yesterday, I hit on a solution.
  1. Grab a full-size towel from the bathroom
  2. Fold it in half, length-wise
  3. Fold it in half, width-wise
  4. Wrap it around the base and sides of your misbehaving blender
  5. Turn on the machine
Eureka! It helped to drastically reduce my noise footprint. Maybe I should patent my discovery...

In other news, I had a screening interview today with FEI. They called again around 4:00pm to let me know they'd like to have an in-person interview with me on Friday. As much as I love pushing buttons on a screen all day, if this position involves the slightest amount of coding, I'm probably ready for a career change.

No comments:

Post a Comment