Monday, June 14, 2010

Home and Reality

I stayed at my parent's home over the weekend. It was a bitter-sweet experience, full of perspective.

On the one hand, I'd kind of forgotten how much stress and conflict there is in a large family such as mine. There are personality clashes, unlimited demands on limited time, and dying chickens. Familial unity often seems like a fleeting fantasy, and makes one consider a solitary existence with Kodiak bears in the Alaskan wilderness.

On the other hand, the beauty and tranquility of the country was very soothing and relaxing. Also, as much as relationships can be stressful, they can also be a source of great joy and companionship. For me, the time away from family has helped to cement the reality of this. People need to be around other people. Not strangers, but those to whom they can relate, strengthen, and draw from in time of need.

All things considered, I guess my time at home felt more "real" than my shuttered lifestyle down here in Corvallis. There aren't any relational problems (well, mostly), life is regular and predictable (a.k.a. boring), and the food is definitely sub-standard (raw, fried, and blended foods are good and well, but there are only so many combinations one can make with bananas and apples). It's a sterile existence, but a good time for pondering life and making difficult decisions.

Without a doubt, Christians are never really alone, for God is with them. If you put yourself in a position where you're forced to spend time alone with God, He will be found when you seek Him. It's to my detriment that I haven't discovered this until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment