Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cage Free Eggs

Today, for the first time since I moved down to Corvallis, my weekly grocery binge totaled less than $50. I guess skipping the wine aisle does help! Who knew?

I was a bit surprised, because I bought more natural (read... "more expensive") foods than usual, including:
  • One gallon of organic whole milk ($5.48... ouch)
  • Half-gallon of Nancy's yogurt ($3.42... not too bad actually. It was only 12 cents more expensive than buying two half-gallon containers of the kind without bacteria.)
  • Four pounds of Smucker's jam ($5.98... causing me to really appreciate the cost-effectiveness of home-made jam)
  • Cage free eggs (as opposed to cage free hens... there's a loop hole here somewhere, I know it...)
We'll see if this trend continues. The moment I start flirting with the Odwalla cooler, it's all over.

NOTE: The wine aisle wise-crack was just that, a wise-crack. I choose not to blog in an inebriated state, even though the comedic value of my posts would probably shoot through the roof. Fear not, I'm not the indulging type.

No comments:

Post a Comment