Thursday, September 22, 2011

Stereotypes

Boring and steady. Yes, my candid friends, these two descriptors have been used to describe yours truly.

Cut me to the heart and call me an artichoke! I may not be the most humorous or energetic follow around, but ascribing to me the same attributes as a slate of granite is not at all endearing. Picture the following personals entry: "wanted: a boring man to spend a life with together, must be stable and incapable of living life on the edge."

Yeah, I'm having a hard time picturing it too.

But this blog post isn't about having one-half of a love seat filled. Think about it. Boring men don't scale mountains. Stable men don't experience the thrill of victory and the shattering echo of defeat. Granted, there's a place for rocks. You can't scale a mountain without them. Still, there's a spirit in a man that wants to be at the top of the peak, not holding up the foundation.

Of course, there are two sides to the coin. Stereotypes are rarely attributed without any underlying facts or reasons.

I have a reputation as a No Man (those who didn't catch the Jim Carrey reference, retain your innocence and watch something else). Many times I've said no to job opportunities, I've closed doors, I've ignored risky friendships, I've refused to let my emotions show. These are perfectly sensible actions, but boring and stable through and through.

Yes, the chickens have come home to roost.

Unfortunate Reality #1: My gut reaction has been to act more random and insane than usual. At this, I've succeeded.

Unfortunate Reality #2: Pulling it off hasn't worked so well. (I guess that "first-impressions last a lifetime" stuff is true)

Changing image. Ah yes, the utopian goal of everyone from the crookedest felon to the wealthiest bank executive, and elusive to both. Fact of the matter is, true change has be accompanied by... wait for it... true change, not just a freshly-applied veneer.

So, what does true change look like? I've decided replacing boredom and stability with mental insanity and acting like a fruitcake hasn't worked. Instead, what's the motivation behind the boring? Simple. It's fear. And how do you change your image with that knowledge?

Stop saying "no" to stuff simply because it scares you or makes you uncomfortable.

So no, this post isn't about being maligned. If boredom and stability float your boat, go for it, but make sure your reasons are in the right place. Go for stability because it's what's best for keeping your family together, not because you're afraid of saying yes to a job opportunity. Go for boredom because it keeps you out of bad company, not because it affords you an excuse to say no to that next missions trip.

In short, we have nothing to fear but fear itself. Live loud for Christ, but with the "boredom" to be content in Him and the "stability" to follow His statutes for the rest of your life.

Me? I'll be the guy summiting South Sister this weekend. Hooah.

1 comment:

  1. lol! Why oh why do I open my big mouth... if you're scarred for life, it's all my doing :P

    Steady is a big plus. Believe it.

    ReplyDelete