Friday, April 12, 2013

Moving


It's probably true that people who switch homes regularly have less clutter than those who don't. That is to say, if you buy something, you'll (at least subconsciously) be thinking about what it would mean to move it from point A to point B.

So, consider getting a Queen-size bed instead of a King (or that California King they had in the mattress store down the street).

Similarly, people who live in smaller houses have less clutter than those who live in larger houses. This is a simple extrapolation of Parkinson's Law that "work expands to fill the time allotted to complete it".

If you haven't guessed, I will be moving in the near future. Tomorrow, to be precise. Fortunately, it's not a long-distance move (which would be tiring), or a household-of-ten move (which would be back-breaking and tiring). This hop is a short one, and it's just the two of us.

Two of us?

Okay--so, I'm not just moving. I'm also getting married. Perhaps I should have led off with that. I'm living in a new apartment as of tomorrow, and my wife will be joining me after our wedding and honeymoon.

I'll elaborate later, I promise.

All that said, moving two people into the same house is not nearly as intimidating as it sounds. First off, single people rarely own large houses with lots of stuff in them. Second, they are resistant to things like pulled muscles and wrenched ligaments. As long as they don't get a particularly ornery dresser dropped on them, they'll probably be fine.

Unfortunately, it all goes downhill from here (from a clutter perspective, anyway). As soon as you have somebody close to buy things for, you tend to do that very thing. And as soon as you have kids… well…

But maybe a cluttered home can still be a happy home. And maybe you can compensate by not moving as often. And when you do have to move, maybe it's okay to give part of your gold mine to Goodwill.

In fact, maybe clutter doesn't matter much at all. And maybe I should be blogging on more consequential topics. Hey... you know... I bet marriage qualifies as consequential. ;-)

...

Spontaneous inspiration. It's a wonderful thing.

Until next time,

- Daniel

2 comments:

  1. Mattresses are easy...the scary thing is when you realize how many boxes it takes to pack books. ;-)

    Enjoy the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Daniel! I hope the wedding and subsequent move go well.

    And I'm with you on household-of-ten moves; I sincerely hope my family never has to relocate. Even moving across town would be a serious undertaking :D

    ReplyDelete